Sunday, May 4, 2014

Airplane sewing....

We are back and recovered from our trip to New Orleans. We had a great time and saw some neat sights. Bourbon Street was a trip! Not the place to be on a Friday night with teenagers we found out, but fun to walk down during the day.
I loved all of the narrow streets and building with balconies with flowers. I took a ton of pics of places like this one in the French Quarter.

A trip to NO would not be complete without a visit to Cafe Dumonde and an order of Beignets (all they sell is coffee and beignets)
This place is open 24/7 and has been there since 1860!

Another neat thing was the cemeteries. They are above ground due to the lower than sea level position of NO. We only made it to one-the Lafayette Cemetery, where Double Jeopardy was filmed. Very cool!

And the street cars were so fun! $3 for an all day pass. There were several lines and we went on them all.

My daughters favorite thing was the palm trees! They were spectacular.

Before we left I decided I really needed a hand sewing project to take along. As much as I had been resisting, I really wanted to do Karens new quiltalong at Faeries and Fibres. It's a hexie project and I have always wanted to make a hexie quilt. So I cut up some 2 1/2 " squares and some paper templates (Karen has them on her blog also) and made this block.

She is posting a block every 2 weeks and I think there are going to be 18 all together. Check it out!
The first part of our flights home was very turbulent so I did not sew on that one, but on the others I did as I listened to an audiobook. Made the time go very quickly! I just finished listening to The Shoemakers Wife by Adriana Tigiani. Now I'm listening to Call the Midwives, a historical memoir of the life of a midwife in the 1950's. Very interesting history of London during that time.

Well I really need to get to work finishing some favors for a fundraiser I am doing in 2 weeks. I am making 
chapstick holders that I found on Pinterest. Pics of mine to come!

Have a great rest of the weekend!!
Deb


5 comments:

  1. Love your photos! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a fun trip! The Beignets look fabulous! Were they as good as they look? Your hexie block turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your block is awesome, Deb!! Love to "travel" with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. NOLA looks like a great place to visit. I love your hexies. Do you watch "Call the Midwife"? I love that show. I have to get the books too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an interesting and tasty trip to NO! Your hexie block is wonderful - love the colours and the fussy cuts!

    ReplyDelete