Sunday, July 28, 2013

Just a quick little detour....

I went with the family to Hershey, PA this weekend for the Quilt Odyssey Quilt show. I also got to meet up with some of my online buddies from Pat Sloan's Quilt Mash-up while I was there. So fun to meet these ladies in person who I have been chatting with online for several years!

One of the cool things at the quilt show is that there was an exhibit of 1930's quilts that I was interested to see since I have been doing research on this era.  Arlan Christ and his wife have a collection of over 1000 antique quilts. For this show they brought about 30 from the 1930's from there collection. I lucked out and got there right as they were giving a personal tour of the quilts. There were several that were made from newspaper patterns and mail-order patterns. I fell in love with one in particular called Autumn Leaf. It was designed by Anne Orr and the pattern was sold through the Sears and Roebuck catalog.  The original was slightly different from this one, but won 4th place at the 1933 World's Fair in Chicago.  I may just have to do this one next! It was made using feed sack fabrics. Feed sacks were the bags that sugar, flour and animal feel were sold in during the Depression. Women would buy the different prints and use them to make clothing, using the left overs for quilting. This was a free way for ladies to get fabric since they had to buy feed, sugar, etc anyway. AND I just happen to have a collection of feed sack 6 inch squares that my mom had bought years ago. So I am going to be on the hunt for this pattern, or draft it myself.

I'll post the "B" block when I get home! See you again soon!

2 comments:

  1. That quilt is a beauty!!! I can see why you want to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this quilt. If you find the pattern let me know, as I would love to make it also. Now I need to find some feed sacks or 30s prints.

    ReplyDelete